Year of completion: 2023
Gross floor area: 7 408 sqm
The school building facilitates teaching from 1st to 6th grade as well as early childhood education. The new extension completes the existing three-storey school building, dated back to 1973 (designed by Helvi Mether-Borgström, HKR). The clean shape towards the street and light figure of the new building make the school a welcoming and easily approachable public building. The existing building was thoroughly repaired. Although the surface of the exterior is renewed, the building maintained its basic character.
The architecture of the new building is based on the functionality and on the characteristics of its surroundings. The daycare spaces and its yard are located at the east end of the building. The yard on the south side of the school is a scenic open bedrock area with pine trees. The aim was to preserve the existing unique nature. For this reason, asphalting and playgrounds are located near the school. Yard areas are also planned to be accessible. The maintenance access to the building is located on the north side while car parks can be found in the eastern part of the plot, with the exception of accessible parking spaces.
Teaching facilities form open classes for teaching that can be flexibly used for different types of teaching. The central hall and the associated multipurpose room with the auditorium combine spaces with each other, but it also serves as a teaching facility. The purpose of the layout is to divide and share spaces. The school building will provide facilities for a variety of leisure activities outside school time. This has been taken into account in the design of passageways and access control. IT installations take into account the requirements of the future learning environment.
Year of completion: 2021
Gross floor area: 5 400 brm2 (refurbishment)
Kruununhaka School was originally designed by Onni Törnqvist in 1897 and it was built in 1899. The building was severely damaged during the bombing of Helsinki in 1944. The renovation and enlargement of the building took place in the end of the 40´s designed by Hilding Ekelund and Lasse Björk. Now the school comprises of the old, 5-storey red brick building and of the 3-storey light rendered extension. They are connected by a red brick tiled "hinge" part that houses the main entrance lobby.
The refurbishment of the building includes a major reformation of the building technical services and rearrangements to classrooms and workspaces. New teaching methods require multi-functional and combinable spaces. Also textile and technical handicraft, art education and home economics require specific spaces. The teachers and other staff and social services will have renovated rooms. Also the physical education hall and the school canteen will face some alterations. The fire safety and accessibility will be improved and the school yard will become more pleasant and attracting to activity.
Year of completion: 2019
Gross floor area: 7 976 brm2 (refurbishment to temporary facilities)
The original building was designed by Yrjö Sadeniemi and was completed in 1929. The building has always been used as a school. Now the building was converted into the temporary facilities of Kruununhaka Secondary School, for the duration of its refurbishment. Renovation measures were carried out in the building based on the needs of the Kruununhaka Secondary School. The aim was to implement needed spaces with least possible changes made to the current teaching spaces. The most significant of the alterations made to the building were the improvement of fire and escape safety, accessibility and ventilation. Most of the teaching and work spaces remained the same. Newly added teaching spaces included the home economics, textile work, technical work and science teaching spaces.
Year of completion: 2013
Gross floor area: 14,000 sqm
The renovated building is one of the central examples of the Finnish expressive Rationalism of the 1960s. Sampola’s streamlined modernist wing buildings and the sculptural mass of the main hall for 600 people have been sensitively placed in a location that is complex in regard to the cityscape.
The biggest challenge in altering the building for the needs of the new high school was in preserving its inspiring and well-preserved streamlined appearance. The greatest changes were carried out in the low section surrounding the courtyard, where the specialized facilities for art education were placed. When renewing the use of the building and ventilation system it was possible to return the skylights and give the classrooms an atelier-like character. An extension has been added for a lift and exhibition space.
The outward appearance of the building was preserved. Following the lines of the original architecture the design of the new copper clad structures placed on the roof try to discrete and streamlined. Windows were changed and also copper flashings though following the original details.
In the interior spaces it has been possible to return some of the values of the original architecture. The ceilings, including lighting and furnishing have been renewed.
Year of completion: 2017
Gross floor area: 5 700 sqm (refurbishment)
Munksnäs Secondary School is located in Munkkiniemi in Helsinki. The building complex has been built as six different interconnecting parts during 1949-1962. The original architects were Arne Helander and Bertel Liljeqvist. Architectural elements have been fairly well preserved and are typical to their era. The school caters for Swedish secondary education for 237 students. During the evenings the facilities are used for recreation and adult studies by local residents.
The site is a lush slope between a sports field and residential blocks. The buildings from different eras are grouped around a sheltered courtyard. Impressive old pine trees give a special ambiance to the complex. The refurbishment is designed to honor the original architecture, but also to allow modern teaching methods to flourish. Red brick and white rendered facades will be preserved. Interiors will feature details and colors that complement the original. The major changes are within a new multimedia class and canteen areas.
Metropolia University of Applied Sciences Arabianranta Hämeentie 161, Helsinki
Project start: 2015
Gross floor area: 8046 sqm (refurbishment), project planning
The building complex of the Metropolia University of Applied Sciences has a history over several centuries. The site was a location of a dyeing plant in 1740's. Then a red brick weaving mill and dyeing factory was designed by Theodor Höijer and built in 1899. Later the building served as a spinning mill and a warehouse. Major enlargements have been done in 1958 and 2005. Since 1999 the complex has been run by Metropolia and located spaces for education of art and creative fields. Parts of the building are listed as National Heritage.
The alterations under design are due to internal changes within Metropolia: the education fields and user groups of these spaces will be reorganized, thus some spatial and technical changes are needed. Also the overall usability of the complex will be enchanced. There will be new spaces - as space within a space - inside the old weaving mill, and also the entrances and the central entry halls will be altered. The key issue is to preserve the presence of the various historical eras.
Year of completion: 2013
Gross floor area: 1300 m2 (refurbishment)
Client: City of Helsinki
The building was originally completed in 1972 and represents the typical architecture of the time. The building has served as a day care centre since its completion. The main building consists of one floor and a small basement. The technical spaces and storage are located in the basement. The building is made of concrete and it has a flat roof. Architectural and interior design as well as landscaping were included in the project.
Year of completion: 2005
Gross floor area: 5,100 sqm (refurbishment) ja 900 sqm (extension)
Matinlahti School was originally built in the 1970s by Architects E. V. Ungern-Stenberg & Co. In the refurbishment two old building, the sports hall and the school, have been connected with an extension. The old buildings are built of sandlime brick and concrete and represent simple flat roof, column and bean and slab construction typical for the school of the time. One goal for the refurbishment was to lighten up the dark facades.
The biggest change was the new extension, which forms a new central space for the whole school. The dining hall is located in the extension. The classrooms were modified only moderately. The refurbishment took place in three phases in order to maintain existing spaces in use.
Year of completion: 2016
Gross floor area: 154 sqm (refurbishment)
Korkeasaari Zoo needed more space for the activities of Nature School Arkki. Located in the northwestern part of Korkeasaari, the old wooden one-storied building was built in 1929 as an apartment for the zoo gardener. It was refurbished from a home to an office in 1979. Now the building was refurbished to meet the needs of the school. The refurbishment included making the building accessible.